Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Fashola calls on FG to control energy theft

The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, has called on the Federal Government to extend its ‘whistleblowing’ policy to the power sector to control energy theft. The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola. Photo: Nigeria Electricity.

      Mr Fashola made the appeal in Enugu at the 16th Power sector monthly meeting, sponsored by the Niger Delta Power Holding Company.
He said that available statistics revealed huge energy theft by Nigerians, adding that the problem had become a  challenge for not just the power distribution companies, but consumers as well as only six million households consumed energy in the country.
The Minister said that when all households who used energy were not captured, the ones captured were bound to pay more tariffs,and called on Nigerians to be vigilant and report those who stole energy in their neighbourhood to law enforcement agencies.
He said that efforts to improve power supply across the country were on course, adding that more megawatts of electricity would be added to the national grid before the end of the year.
The meeting ended with a communiqué urging members of the public to discharge their responsibilities of paying for energy costs, and appealed to state government to appoint energy advisers to ensure understanding of the power sector, before formulating policies. It stated that progress on incremental power was being made, and that the damaged transformers at Afam IV Power Station had been repaired and gas supply would start soon to provide additional 100mw of power.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: We entertain comments, but comments that are racial, abusive will not be published, and opinions expressed in comments are those of our readers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Okenwa Orji.